December 1, 2023

November Shopify Tech Partners Event: 'How to Grow Your E-commerce Store' and 'Black Friday Discounts'

With Black Friday Cyber Monday just around the corner, London’s tech community descended on the famous headquarters in Old Street for the latest Shopify Tech Partners Meetup.

It was the first event we’d hosted since August, and it was great to see so many old friends and meet some new ones as we got together for an evening of great presentations and great conversations.

We gave the floor this time to two fantastic guests: Nathan Lomax, co-founder and director of e-commerce specialists Quickfire Digital, and Will Gardiner, CMO of AI negotiation chatbot company Nibble. Here’s what they had to say.

Going for growth

Nathan was up first. He opened his presentation with an important reminder: that to be in the 1 percent, in any field, you’ve got to do what the other 99 percent won’t.

He took us on a whistle-stop tour of the world of e-commerce growth: setting out how smart re-marketing, personalization and a mentality of ‘marginal gains’ – popularised by Sir Dave Brailsford, architect of the most successful period in British cycling history – can help you to move ahead of the pack.

Nathan also spoke about the vital importance of social proof – and why is an essential app for any ambitious e-commerce founder looking to grow their business. (We wouldn’t disagree.)

What’s up with Black Friday?

Did you know that only 2 percent of products are at their cheapest on Black Friday? Well, now you do. Citing his experience with Nibble, an app that allows users to negotiate e-commerce deals via a super-smart AI chatbot, Will Gardiner told us what’s really going on with Black Friday discounting.

Will explained how, when it comes to BFCM, there’s a huge difference between the discounts customers expect and what they’ll actually accept. It turns out that customers will take a much smaller discount than e-commerce stores typically offer, meaning those stores are losing out on money every time BFCM comes round.

Will also explained how to compete on price the right way, showing why product design, shipping and expertise are key negotiation areas for any store looking to maximise profits while keeping customers happy.

Some news from us

And it wouldn’t be a Shopify Tech Partners Meetup if we didn’t have a few things to share with our friends as well. In the time since our last event, we’ve become a Built for Shopify app, meaning that we meet Shopify’s highest standards for quality, design and performance. It’s the highest level of recognition an app can achieve.

We’ve also revamped our settings to make our app more user-friendly. We want your experience of to be both intuitive and enjoyable. That’s why we’ve rolled up comprehensive review insights, a clean, clutter-free reviews dashboard, and simpler, smoother navigation.

That means you can spend more time focusing on what matters most to you.

Happy Holidays

If you missed the event, you can check out the slides from Nathan and Will’s talks here. We’ll keep you informed of any updates. Thanks to everyone who came down to Old Street on November 21 and Happy Holidays from all of us at

Until next time,

The Team